The Pyramid of Stress

I'm going to be straight. This isn't paradise. It's a great place, I'll give you that but it's not paradise. I still have a lot of stress and it comes in various different shapes and forms. So, in this blog post, I've decided to put these into what I've called "The Pyramid of Stress" to help you understand the differences between England and France when it comes down to STRESS. However, just before I start I have made a change to the blog theme because I didn't really like the other one (which you probably would've noticed). I have not been replaced by an alien.

Homework- The Base

Homework. I don't mind it but there's just so many of them. You get them as fast as you finish them; a bit like storm troopers in Star Wars. There's definitely way more of it than in the UK. There, I would get about 4 or 5 a week. Here, it's around 3 or 4 a day. It's not the worst thing I have to deal with, but it doesn't help.

Tests

For a long time, I got used to the fact that there was what you called a test week on the last week of term. Makes sense. I didn't really revise because it was quite easy. It's the same over here in France, right? Right? Yeaaaaaahhhhh, no. We get tested all the time. All the time. And it's quite difficult as well. The mentality is that you have to remember everything exactly; definitions, formulas, verbs etc. So as well as finding time to do homework after school, you have to find time after school to revise which adds up. More of my spare time is being pried from my fingers.

Projects

Half way up the pyramid now, eh? 

If a teacher said to us, our next theme will be done in groups, I'm not the happiest. Sometimes, of course, it goes really well. You're with some good people and everything is moving along fine. However, it's not always like that. Sometimes, the people you're with are lazy or not really bothered, in which case you're screwed. You have to do everything yourself. In both cases there are still deadlines to be met. Things to be done. Weight to be pulled. In England, group projects did not go well. No one cared and the quality was pretty poor. It's almost the opposite it France. You're evaluated for it and everyone takes it pretty seriously. In fact, right now, I'm in a group project where we have to make the SS Sultana and present it which is going alright at the moment.

Social

School, secondary school especially, can be a brutal place. I've seen kids getting kicked about everyday when they come in, some serious fights, knives being brought it and just complete chaos. There's always been a pressure to fit in at school, there always will be. I went to quite a rough school in the UK. It was an enormous stress; make sure you had friends and make sure you keep those friends. Or else you were in trouble. One of the best things I liked about moving here was how calm the kids were in school. You didn't have to worry about getting on someone's bad side. I've got some really good friends here, English and French and it's definitely a huge improvement.

Other 

Wow, I can see London from up here! 

I call this section 'other' because it can be anything other than the four main categories I mentioned above. It's like the cherry on top of the cake or rather the mushy carrot on top of the casserole. These are just all the other little pieces that make a difference. 
Every little helps!  
 For example, this could be moving house or LOSING MY MATHS BOOK or anything like that. Seriously though, can someone tell me where my maths book is. Anyone?

Bilan

I think that stress is just a thing we deal with, wherever we go. However, I do feel much better here. OK, there are some things harder here and some easier there but I wouldn't go back. You just adapt, its hard to explain but you do just adapt. Sometimes as well, you can find something quite satisfying and really amazing when your strangle hold is loosened and you can see what you've done. 

So yeah, thanks for reading, I'll be back next Friday at the latest. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The School Structure

Renting at 1080 feet

Intro