Renting at 1080 feet

Before I start, sorry about the delay. I've just been super busy during the holidays. Either I'm working with my dad at the house we're doing up, out on my bike, doing homework or just chilling. In part, I have forgotten but yeah, it's been hectic. Today, I'm going to be talking about where we're renting and the two reasons why I absolutely hate it.

Climate

There's a difference of only 530 feet from where we are going to live once the house is finished and one of the three rental places we've been in at an altitude of 1080 feet. Yet there's always a 2 or 3 degree difference between the two. It doesn't sound like much, but it seems like a huge amount. The mornings are always freezing and I haven't even experienced a proper winter here yet. Not that I really want to find out. 

That's not all though; there's the mist. Without exception, it's always here. Now that I think of it, it's hard to explain why I don't like it but it does make the place a lot less friendly. 

Finally, it's really dark. Before the clocks went back (don't get me started about that 😒), it was pitch black until about 9:00. You would think it would be like that as well every else eh? Hmm...let's just leave that there.

Hills

From a cycling perspective, it's a pain. You get out of the door and straight away, there's anywhere from a 2-5 kilometers of downhill, depending on how steep it is. You're muscles haven't warmed up yet and you're freezing because you decided to wear a short sleeved jersey and the wind is slapping you. It's fairly up and down for the next how many kilometers you do but nothing major and you come back. Then, instead of doing a warm down at the end of the ride, there is a 2-5 kilometers of ascending to do, depending on how steep it is. I can't wait to get into where we'll be living permanently because:  
  • I can choose to do a flat ride with some FTP efforts or a hilly ride with some anaerobic capacity intervals instead of it being up and down all the time
  • I can do the climb first and then descend it after, which is always a better way to do it; if I don't feel great after the end of a ride, I don't have to crawl up it.
Bilan 

We're so lucky, if I had to live up here as a permanent thing, I don't know what I would do. It is pure chance actually we ended up where we ended up. Because like I said, I hate renting up here. 

Thanks for reading, I'll be back soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The School Structure

Intro